A layer of roof coating that is selected with the roof to be enhanced in mind and applied professionally is a great and affordable way to enhance your roof’s resistance and durability – here are some recommendations for roof coatings that can help you choose the best type of coating product and use it professionally as well.
Preparing Your Roof for the Coating Procedure
Whatever type of roof you have and whatever type of coating you want to apply, the process should start with roof cleaning – no coating can be applied on a roof that is not completely clean and dry. The cleaning should be extended not only to removing airborne debris, such as dust, dirt, dried leaves and twigs, but in some cases, to rust as well – while roofing made from metal alloys that develop white rust can be efficiently coated without removing the rust, the roofs made from alloys that develop red rust need to be very thoroughly cleaned because the presence of even the smallest amount of rust underneath the coating compromises the protection provided by the treatment.
Types of Roof Coating Material
Most available coating products are suitable for multiple roof types – Commercial roof repair Chicago professionals suggest that these are the five most common roof coating varieties:
- Silicone coatings – the most efficient and the most expensive coating option, silicone offers the best protection against the damage ponding water, so this is the material that works best in high-moisture areas. Silicone is resistant to strong UV radiations as well, so it is the best choice not only for wet, but for very sunny areas as well;
- Polyurethane coatings – this type is available in two forms: aromatic substances that are more affordable, but not UV stable and aliphatic varieties that are UV stable, maintain color even among the harshest circumstances;
- Acrylic coatings – these products also come in two types: solvent-based and water-based. Both offer great weather-resistance and both reflect solar heat, the choice depending mainly on the type and the material of the roof;
- Bitumen-based products – this affordable solution is suitable for a wide range of roofing materials;
- Asphalt coatings – the best solutions for asphalt roofs, these coatings enhance the resistance and durability of the shingles by protecting them against curling, mildew and other types of deterioration.
The Type of Protection Offered by Roof Coatings
The suitable roof coating can prevent the damage caused by exposure to water and to solar radiations and they can also improve the roof’s energy efficiency. Some types of coatings, such as silicone can also prevent minor faults from aggravating – no coating will stop a leak or make it disappear, but some products can stop the development of thin cracks, thus extending the roof’s lifespan and durability.
While in the process of picking the right product, find out as much as you can about the recommendations for roof coatings for the material that your roof is made from because only a carefully chosen and professionally applied product can deliver the desired results and improve your roof’s performance the way you want it to.